Friday, December 5, 2014

Life Insurance...

Life Insurance - one of the major topics that made this story go viral.

Why didn't we have it? Had we even thought of it? How stupid could we be to not have purchased some prior to Jeff leaving?  So many questions I am going to try and answer... and I also want to also share with you the amazing blessings that we received as people donated and helped me pay for a wonderful funeral! 

So first and foremost - keep in mind that I am 20 years old, Jeff  was 26. Not that that is any kind of excuse for us not being on top of things...but he hadn't even solidified his future career yet, and the last thing either of us planned on was one of us passing away this early in life. 

What makes this even more ironic is the fact that Jeff and I had discussed getting Life Insurance NUMEROUS times.  I had also just discussed it with my sister in law at the Chinook Rodeo Finals where I said that I should probably just go forge Jeff's signature and get us some....hmmmm....maybe I should have gone through with that idea? 

So to answer the question, we had talked about it, LOTS. Although his answer to me was always the same, "When I get home we will".


So there you have it. Simple as that. We had talked about it, we put it off, and to be completely honest I thought Jeff of all people wouldn't be the one to have this kind of thing happen to him! The kid had fifty lives! So waiting a few more weeks for him to come home didn't seem like such a big deal.

Well lesson learned! 
 Young couples (or old couples, or in between couples) - do NOT put off things like Life Insurance and Wills. Even if it is the tiniest amount - something is better then nothing!  I have learned the hard way for everyone. Please be smarter then we were! ;)

Now the amazing part of the story! The Rocky Mountain Goat Alliance asked my Dad if we had insurance, when he said that we didn't, it literally took until the next afternoon and a Trust Fund was set up for me to help pay for Funeral expenses, outstanding debts, costs of Search and Rescue etc.  
This lead to the 1st Choice Savings Trust Fund in Magrath, then a Trust Fund set up by ATB in Lethbridge.
An incredible Barrel Racing Benefit and Silent Auction put on by my awesome rodeo family.
And an unreal amount of people donating to the cause.
We also had businesses, Ag Societies, and other organizations donate as well! 

I plan on doing further blog posts about each of these organizations and events, but for now, at least you know our story!

THANK-YOU to all those who donated or simply took the time to come out to the different events.  Jeff's funeral was gorgeous and I was able to walk away with it completely paid for! How amazing is that?! I feel like a pretty lucky girl!  Every penny counted and it was very much appreciated!
I will be forever indebted to those around me, some who didn't even know Jeff or myself, but just felt the need to help us out.  Never again will a situation like this take place and me not stop and give back like so many have done for me!

Thanks again! 

Dakota

1 comment:

  1. going to get life insurance and a will because of this post. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete